Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Police (and I'm not talking about the band)

The entire 5 years I lived in our house in the boonies, I never once had the police come to my house. A few helicopter fly-overs checking acreage for illegal substances, yes, but no actual physical contact on my property. I liked it that way. I savor my privacy. I also like to know they are there if I need them, but I do not need them in my face as a reminder.

Having said that, I would like to note that tomorrow will be exactly 2 months to the day that we moved into our house in Oakwood. And we have had contact with the police 4 times already. I seriously hope that this is not a pattern that will continue throughout the year. I think there are more cops in Oakwood than all of Nelson County back in KY. Every time I go out, whether driving or walking, I see a patrol car. Many times, there is one parked down the street near the park. A part of me likes the fact that the neighborhood is well patrolled. Oakwood is supposed to be the safest area to live in Dayton. In fact, most of the transgressions posted in The Oakwood Register deal with driving incidents. There is an occasional burglary report or a stolen bicycle reported, but mainly they are all speeding tickets or the like. (If you come to visit us, please observe the posted speed limits.)

Rabbit Trail: One of the burglary reports was of $200, a laptop, and an iphone taken from an UNLOCKED Expedition. All the items were laying on the seat in plain view. C'mon, people! Use some common sense!

Another part of me, however, dislikes the fact that the police traffic the area like the Gestapo. The first day we moved in a police officer stopped and was checking out our truck which was parked on the street in front of our house. I say the officer and immediately thought, "What's wrong?" There were other cars parked on the street, so I knew that was legal. But our truck was parked in front of our house against the flow of traffic. I told Brian to run out and talk the officer so we wouldn't get a ticket. He ran outside and moved the truck. The officer was not very welcoming. He told Brian, "That isn't allowed around here." Okay, fine. Lesson learned. (But what was the big deal anyway? Were they afraid someone driving down the street would suddenly forget which way the traffic flowed and follow the parked cars? If so, they shouldn't be driving anyway. Simple driver's ed...drive on the right side of the road.)

The three other incidents with the police all involved the situation with the little girl (previous post). I am so hoping that is an isolated occurrence and not a trend in my life as an Oakwood resident. So, while I am glad to have the protection, I am also a little ruffled by the lack of privacy too. I suppose that is just what goes with the territory. I moved from the boonies to an urban neighborhood. Just another little adjustment to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment