Wednesday, February 2, 2011

House Hunting

Moving to a new location requires a new home/abode/a place to lay your head or call 'home sweet home.' We had to find a new house. Exciting, right? Fun, right? Yeah, that is what I thought too. Brian had already been scoping out some houses online and I was excited because the market in Ohio stinks compared to KY, so we could get a 5 or 6 bedroom house. More house for our money! Yeah! There were so many deals to be had! And while we were keeping our selections to 3 main areas: Huber Heights, Beavercreek, or Fairborn, we had a pretty long list (23 houses or something like that) when we first went up to Dayton to do some house hunting.

For some reason I had it in my head that this whole search would look like something from an episode of 'House Hunters.' I guess I should have dismissed that notion when we had to drag all 4 kids with us. But, I was still keeping the adventure alive even though we had just drove 3 hours to get there and had a long list to narrow down with "drive-by" viewings...adding another 6 hours in the car with the kids. Over 3 days, we pretty much stayed in the car, looking at all the houses on the list. I am pretty sure reality struck when our list went from 23 to like 5 after the drive-by. I just wasn't digging the neighborhoods. I have one question for HGTV: How do they get it down to just 3 choices in a half hour? Just kidding.

After that first initial house hunting experience, my hopes were dismal. None of the houses felt like home. None of them were "it." We did more online searches. I typed up a long, long, long checklist of things to mark off to compare the different houses. (Seriously, it was long. 8 pages typed front & back long.) I had to keep all of these houses straight in my head. After the 9th house though, I resorted to writing notes on the back of  the checklist because the list was taking way too long to go over.

Once more, I had to ask for help. I quickly realized that checklist or no, I could not do this on my own. I was going insane one MLS# at a time. I asked again. I needed His guidance; His wisdom. Where did He want me to go? Where could He use me the most? Where would be the best place for His children?

His answer was loud & clear.  And I was diggin' it!

No comments:

Post a Comment